- 1 Calls of tiger on the loose in Gary prompt police search
- 2 Historical Blue Top Drive-In returns under new ownership
- 3 2 girls in critical condition, mom hospitalized after Hammond shooting
- 4 Cops: Help ID Highland Best Buy robbery suspect
- 5 Cops investigating Griffith man's death after fight with friends
Class 4A Chesterton Sectional championship: Hobart 3, Portage 2
Portage put the tying run 90 feet away in the seventh inning of Monday's championship, at which point Hobart coach Bob Glover, Jr. reminded his team of something important.
"I was hollering, 'They've still got to score,'" Glover said after the 3-2 win. "It was like they had all the momentum, but (pitcher) Brandon (Murray) is so hard to hit. It's a situation where all they need is contact, but I've watched him miss so many bats, strike out so many guys over the years, there's nobody else in the state I'd want on the mound."
Murray responded with two strikeouts, both on curve balls, to end the game. He had 10 for the game.
"We know those guys can hit," Glover said. "We knew it wouldn't be easy. They got some good swings on some fastballs. He knew this wasn't going to be a game where he could just muscle up and blow it by them. They're too good for that. He really needed to throw his curve ball for strikes."
Portage is playing in its fifth sectional final in a row Monday at Chesterton. The Indians broke through and won the title last season at LaPorte and Hobart coach Bob Glover Jr. compares his current Brickies to the 2013 team.
"They're a program that knows how to win this time of year," Glover said. "They were on the cusp, knocking on the door a lot of years and finally broke through last year, which is kind of where we are. We're looking to take that next step. Obviously, I feel pretty good about where we're at, but we're going to have come out and keep playing well. They're the team to beat until somebody beats them."
Portage is on a roll at the right time, having won 10 of its last 11 games.
"We're not beating ourselves and we're taking advantage of situations," coach Tim Pirowski said.
Follow The Times
Whether you are looking for Homes for Sale, Moving Resources, or even Mortgage Information, you can call Randy at American Classic Realtors, Inc. (219) 838-2000
Get an APPLICATION by clicking HERE
Our desire is to value you as a lifetime friend who entrusts u…
Are your children being bullied? We offer certified programs that help your child deal with bullying. Contact us for more information at (219) 595-7365
Our anti-bullying program is based on a methodology that’s bee…
Associated Sewer and Plumbing Service - Offering fair and competitive prices along with excellent customer service. (219) 931-3141
We provide plumbing services for Northwest Indiana, Lake Count…
Dogs are Like Kids, They're More Fun When They're Well-Trained. Sittin' Pretty Specializes in Obedience Training, Call Today for Group or Private Lessons! (219) 947-4121
Sittin' Pretty is a locally owned and owner operated boarding,…
- Petal Talk with Jean Starr
- NWI TweetUp
- How to Publish a Book of Blues. Hopefully.
- Dave Woodson: Real Estate, Mortgage and Tech
- Kevin Tracy and his most excellent contributors
- Blue County in a Red State
- The Valpo Core
- Clair Boone: Mummy Deals
- Mystified in the Middle East
Calling all bloggers
Are you a local blogger? Want to get noticed? Email us your URL/feed information to be included on our Northwest Indiana blogroll.
Does the state do enough to cultivate economic growth in Northwest Indiana?
- LIVE: RailCats vs Winnipeg, rubber match editionJuly 27, 2014 2:00 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Goldeyes, No. 1 vs. No. 1July 26, 2014 5:00 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs Goldeyes, pump up the volume on a weekend seriesJuly 25, 2014 4:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs Sox, series finale with sweep on the lineJuly 20, 2014 1:30 pm