GARY | A native of Wisconsin who attended Michigan Tech, Michelle Fields arrived in Northwest Indiana in 1995.
Moved around the Midwest by U.S. Steel, Fields returned to Gary last August as the plant manager for the primary side of U.S. Steel's Gary Works.
She quickly became a part of U.S. Steel's sports scene, playing on the company's softball and basketball teams.
"She's our resident best female athlete," said Al Spajer, the Director of Employee Relations at U.S. Steel Gary Works.
So months ago, after U.S. Steel signed a new agreement to keep the naming rights at the park, Fields was tabbed to throw out the first pitch for Thursday's RailCats' opening day.
Follow The Times
You don't have to be treated bad to get a great deal. Com…
Time for teeth cleaning and whitening? Let us take care of you!!!
Don’t wait. Stop in today. Its never too late to start workin…
Whether you have a new baby, are getting married or starting d…
Stop in and visit Lightning Fireworks today!
Hillary Smith has covered prep, pro and college sports -- and even a Dixie Baseball World Series -- for newspapers north and south of the Mason-Dixon Line since 1995.
- Petal Talk with Jean Starr
- NWI TweetUp
- BBQ and the Works
- Blog NWI
- Midwestern Literature
- Jeff Eriks' Small Business & Construction Blog
- How to Publish a Book of Blues. Hopefully.
- Daltons Briefs
- Dave Woodson: Real Estate, Mortgage and Tech
- Mad Mortgage Machine
- Kathy Sipple: My Social Media Coach
- Josh Walker: Deconstruction Theory
- Hammond Ramblings
- Digital Lifestyles the Linux Way
- Marketing Blueprint
- Northwest Indiana Politics
- Gardening: Kiss My Aster
- Kevin Tracy and his most excellent contributors
- Blue County in a Red State
- The Valpo Core
- Northwest Indiana Blogs
- Northwest Indiana Pundit
- Beyond The Region
- Clair Boone: Mummy Deals
- One Nerve Left
- David Tamez
- Mystified in the Middle East
Calling all bloggers
Are you a local blogger? Want to get noticed? Email us your URL/feed information to be included on our Northwest Indiana blogroll.
Should college students be required to do community service projects that put theories into practice?
- LIVE: RailCats morning game vs. WichitaMay 22, 2013 10:45 am
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Wingnuts in first early game of the seasonMay 21, 2013 10:45 am
- PREP BASEBALL: Roosevelt forfeits sectional game before postseason beginsMay 21, 2013 8:36 am
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm