An unnatural-born runner, a pretty regular yoga doer and a lover of cookies and other sweet treats, Times digital producer Laura Lane writes about her fitness journey. Questions, training tips or race suggestions? Throw her a line on email or Twitter.

My alarm went off around 4 a.m. Saturday.

It was race day. Again.

One of the first sentences I mumbled to my half asleep boyfriend as we reluctantly rolled out of bed was something along the lines of, "I can't wait to cross the finish line so I can go back home and take a nap."

He laughed.

Once I finally got a move on it, though, I woke up and slowly started getting pumped up for the Soldier Field 10 Mile. I had a blast running it last year — there's just something so cool about finishing on the 50-yard line at Soldier Field as soldiers put medals around your neck — and I knew I didn't want to miss out on the action this year.

We were out the door about 5:30 a.m., and after a little bit of roaming my boyfriend and I went to our corrals moments before they closed and the pre-race ceremony began.

I have to say, I wasn't at all nervous about this race. At least not like I was about the Chicago Spring Half Marathon less than a week before. I kept telling myself, "Girl, you ran 13.1 miles six days ago. These 10 miles will be a piece of cake!"

That thought kept going through my head until about the second mile when I started breaking out in a sweat. It was so ridiculously humid! The humidity paired with the fact that I couldn't seem to slow my pace down, I started gassing myself and had to slow to a walk at the fifth mile. I was squirting the water from my hydration belt bottles on my head by the seventh mile in an attempt to cool myself. I was annoyed when my legs started getting sore by the eighth mile, but was so happy I only had two miles left rather than five. I wanted to kiss the old man with the hose outside of McCormick Place who was spraying down racers as we ran by around the ninth mile. As I ran through Soldier Field toward the 50-yard line finish line, all I could think of was finding someplace shaded to sit under and not move a muscle for days, and maybe also dunk my head in a pool full of ice cold water.

But you know what? I finished. It was nearly 45 minutes after my boyfriend crossed the finish line, but I did it.

I didn't get a new best record with this 10-miler like I was hoping. I did, funnily enough, finish in the exact same amount of time as I did last year. Down to the second. I finished in 1:54:51.

I eventually did find that shaded tree to sit under, too. And later I took a two hour nap. It was glorious.

I've been taking it easy with my runs and workouts this week. I'll get back at it next week as I prepare for the Munster Rotary Run-Around 5K and 10K.

But this weekend? I plan on sleeping in. No early morning race day alarms for this gal.

Thank. Goodness.