CONSUMER AFFAIRS: Protecting Your Move

2013-08-23T16:49:00Z 2013-08-23T17:59:18Z CONSUMER AFFAIRS: Protecting Your MoveJoseph Pellicciotti Times Business Columnist
August 23, 2013 4:49 pm  • 

If you are planning for an interstate move of your household belongings, you first may want to check out the U.S. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s “Protect Your Move” website at

The site offers useful information on preventing moving fraud, dealing with moving brokers and getting ready for a move, as well as providing general tips for having a successful move.

Information on shipment valuation and a discussion of insurance options also are available at the website.

Before the actual move occurs, you should receive from the mover specific information describing “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move.” The material is also available at the website. Review the information carefully.

The agency recommends you use registered movers when engaging in the interstate move of your household. These movers are provided a USDOT number by the agency. You can determine at the site if a mover is registered.

The agency also recommends that you get moving estimates from at least three movers and that you comparison-shop as to the cost and all other services to be provided by the mover.

Consumers can file a complaint against a moving company at the website. The agency does not have the ability to resolve individual complaints. A complaint joined with others, however, could trigger a federal enforcement investigation.

Opinions are solely the writers. Joseph Pellicciotti is an Indiana University Northwest faculty member and administrator. The article is for informational purposes only and not intended as specific advice. Consult your professional advisor before taking action. Author does not endorse/guarantee content within websites.

Copyright 2015 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.