The Northwest Indiana Federation of Labor recently honored key people during its 38th annual Community Labor Awards reception.
"It's an opportunity for us to recognize folks in labor and other areas related to labor for their contributions in giving back to the community," said Dan Murchek, president of the Northwest Indiana Federation of Labor. "Labor is a very important part of Northwest Indiana."
Members are active in their communities. They attend churches and coach sports. The reception also recognized people working to improve the conditions in their industry.
Northwest Indiana, which has the biggest central labor council in the state, is one of the "melting pots of labor," Murchek said.
Those honored include:
- Community Service Award, Brenda Boler-English, USW Local 6787
- Lifetime Achievement Award, David Sikes, Director of Allocations/AFL-CIO Community Service Liaison
- George Meany Award, Michael Flores, Teamsters Local 142, and Eric Jania, Carpenters Local 272
- Service To Labor Award, Thomas Conway, Sr., USW International Vice President for Administration
- Industrial Sector Award, Michael Young, USW Local 6103 Vice President
- President's Award, Ray Jackson, USW Local 6787
- Union Label Awards, William Cantrell (posthumously) and Steven Skvara (posthumously)
- Building Trades Award, Thomas Williamson, Ironworkers Local 395