CHESTERTON | Much-needed infrastructure repairs and replacements along rail lines in Indiana and Illinois will cause some major service changes for South Shore riders in the next month.
Those reports were heard Friday by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District board during its quarterly meeting.
NICTD General Manager Gerald Hanas said the State Line crossover maintenance replacement will affect service from Oct. 5 through Oct. 11.
The track at that location near North Hammond will be torn out and replaced with prefabricated panels. The construction will also install new switches and realign overhead wires near the Illinois/Indiana state line.
To accommodate that infrastructure replacement the following changes will occur Oct. 5 and 6.
- Oct. 5 – Westbound Train 510 and Eastbound Train 613 passengers will be bused between Hegewisch and Hammond.
- Oct. 6 – Westbound Train 600 and Eastbound Train 601 passengers will be bused between Hegewisch and Hammond.
The following major train schedule changes will occur from Oct. 7 through Oct. 11:
- Eastbound Train 203 passengers will be bused from Millennium Station to Hegewisch and stations east. Van Buren Street passengers must board the bus at Millennium Station. The bus won’t stop at Van Buren Street.
- Eastbound Train 205 is cancelled.
- Eastbound Train 209 departs Chicago stations on time, but may be delayed 10 to 15 minutes at Hegewisch and stations east.
- Eastbound Train 117 will depart Millennium Station at 6:15 p.m.
- Eastbound Train 19 will depart Millennium Station at 7:35 p.m.
- Westbound Train 218 passengers will be bused directly to Millennium Station from Gary Metro Center and stations west. The bus won’t stop at 57th Street, the Museum Campus or Van Buren Street.
- Westbound Train 20 passengers will be bused directly from Gary Metro Center and stations west to Millennium Station from Oct. 7-10. The bus won’t stop at 57th Street, the Museum Campus or Van Buren Street.
The Trail Creek Bridge replacement east of the Carroll Avenue station in Michigan City will also affect South Shore service from Oct. 20 through Nov. 1 when buses will transport passengers, Hanas said.
Those changes include the following:
- The South Shore will bus passengers between South Bend, Hudson Lake and Michigan City.
- However, the commuter line won’t bus Hudson Lake passengers traveling to South Bend.
- The South Shore staff recommends passengers drive to Carroll Avenue to board trains to Chicago.
- The following trains are cancelled during this busing period – Westbound Trains 442, 424 and 710; and Eastbound Trains 401, 403, 701 and 703.