Just as the major entertainment-award shows honor artists who have passed away in the previous year, it’s time for us to note with varying degrees of regret those cars and trucks that won’t be returning to their respective automakers’ lineups for 2014:
• Acura ZDX. Consumers never warmed to this odd fish-shaped luxury crossover with a sharply sloping roofline that encroached upon back seat and cargo room.
• Jeep Liberty. The marks against this midsize SUV were many, including a cramped interior, poor performance and lackluster fuel economy.
• Suzuki Kizashi, SX4, Grand Vitara, XL7. These models are all newly orphaned as the automaker exits the U.S. market.
• Toyota Matrix. Sales of this compact hatchback paled in comparison to its sedan equivalent, the Corolla.
• Volkswagen Routan. After several years of offering this rebranded Dodge Grand Caravan, VW is abandoning the minivan market.
• Volvo C30, C70. The only two-door Volvos are cast aside as part of the automaker’s more-upscale product strategy.
© CTW Features