‘A Christmas Story’ Comes Home
1. THROUGH JAN. 7, Indiana Welcome Center, 7770 Corinne Dr, Hammond. 219.989.7979. southshorecva.com/achristmasstory. Six animatronic window displays from Macy's Department Store in New York will be on display, featuring scenes from the beloved movie, plus a variety of events and activities that pay homage to this holiday classic.
First Day Hike
2. JAN. 1, 10-11 a.m., Indiana Dunes State Park, 1600 N. 25 E., Chesterton. 219.926.1390. dnr.in.gov. A naturalist will lead this 1.5-mile hike to start the New Year connecting to the outdoors and exploring the park's landscape and history from the three tallest dunes. The hike will conclude with snacks and a warm fire.
Resolution Run 5K
3. JAN. 1, 10 a.m., Valparaiso University Athletics and Recreation Center, 1009 Union St., Valparaiso. runsignup.com. Runners can kick off the New Year with the first race of the year and the 2018 Race the Region series.
Wine Tasting at White Rhino
4. JAN. 3, 6:30-9 p.m., White Rhino Bar & Grill, 101 Joliet St., Dyer. 219.864.9200. whiterhinoonline.com. Tastings of 10 different wines are offered, as Marco Villarreal provides entertainment on the acoustic guitar. A complimentary gourmet appetizer buffet is included.
Do the Dunes—Outdoor Adventures & Recreation
5. THROUGH JAN. 14, Westchester Township History Museum, 700 W. Porter Ave., Chesterton. 219.983.9715. wpl.lib.in.us/museum. This exhibit traces the transition from Native Americans' and early European settlers' use of the dunes for survival, transportation and business to today's access to and activity in the dunes. Old bicycles, skis, snowshoes and more will be on display and attendees can learn how survival techniques of the past turned into outdoor fun and games today.