Hammond Academy for the Performing Arts is hosting a fundraiser event called Dancing with the Hammond Stars.
Kathleen Dominiak, dance director for Hammond Academy for the Performing Arts at Morton High School, tells me five dance ensemble students are dancing one ballroom number and one freestyle number with a teacher or member of the Hammond Community School Board or a member of the administration.
The event is 7 p.m. Saturday, March 1 at Morton High School Auditorium. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for students. The night's entertainment (as votes are being counted) also includes special performances by Generations Dance Theatre, Talento de Barrio and the HAPA Dance Ensemble and a special exhibition by Nancy Machnikowski a School City of Hammond Partnership Representative and her partner Marcel Gonzales, a Ballroom and Latin Ballroom Instructor. FYI: (219) 989-7316, ext. 1898
The ballroom dance competition, sponsored by Centier Bank and the HAPA Dance Department features the contestants competing for a mirror ball trophy. All attendees will vote for favorite star couples competing, with the winner decided by audience votes. There will be a "Meet the Stars Reception" following the show.
As for the free dance classes, instructors are offering lessons in hip-hop, ballroom, creative dance and jazz from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday March 1 provided by the HAPA Dance Department. All ages welcome and no sign-up required. Space is limited.
The Stars participating from the Hammond community are: Vice President-School City of Hammond Board Member Anna Mamala, Chief Administrator for Academic Services Theresa A. Mayerik, Director of Instrumental Music-Hammond Academy for the Performing Arts Dan Cumminis, Morton High School Chemistry Teacher Julius Kish and Morton High School Football Coach Roy Richards. Here are the student dancers from HAPA Dance Ensemble and Dance Majors, all from the Hammond Academy for the Performing Arts in Hammond, paired with these noted names: juniors Corey Boatner, Khailah Gails-Brooks, Savannah Lucas, Elijah Vazquez and Senior Alycia Newell. All of these contestants have been assigned one of the following ballroom dance styles: tango, fox trot, waltz, cha cha and swing.
As promised, here's an update about our local contestants competing in the 2014 Seattle Sutton Slim Down Challenge. Here's Week 3 results:
• Annette Walker, 57 of Gary, STARTING WEIGHT: 235, this week's weight, 225.4 , total loss: 9.6
• Jessica Mignard, 31, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 196.6, this week's weight, 178.4 , total loss: 18.2
• Linda Adams, 46, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 204.8, this week's weight, 198.6, total loss: 6.2
• Lon Saloman, 45, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 269, this week's weight, 252, total loss: 17
• Maureen Anleitner, 60, of Chesterton, STARTING WEIGHT: 225, this week's weight, 214, total loss: 11
• Michael Adams, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 247, this week's weight, 226.6, total loss: 20.4
• Dr. Michael Perez., 46, of Munster, STARTING WEIGHT: 256, this week's weight, 231.5, total loss: 24.5
• Rebekah Cowan, 50, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 181, this week's weight, 169, total loss: 12
• Sue Kiefer, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 182, this week's weight, 166, total loss: 16
• Tim Kreke, 62, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 264, this week's weight, 243, total loss: 21