After an accomplished career as a dancer, teacher and choreographer, Nick Pupillo decided his main priority would be to nurture young talent by developing Visceral Studio Company in Chicago, founded in 2007.
Today, Pupillo, a 1997 graduate of Lake Central High School and the son of Darlene and Jim Pupillo (Darlene is now Darlene Metten and Nick's stepdad is Paul), is the artistic director of Visceral Dance Chicago. The contemporary company is dedicated to provide a comprehensive environment designed to cultivate dance education, creation and performance for choreographers, dancers and audiences.
Nick graduated from Indiana University with a Bachelor of Science in Ballet, and in 2001, he joined the acclaimed Giordano Dance Chicago where he toured with the company throughout the United States and internationally for three years. Additional performance credits include various roles with the Ruth Page Foundation Nutcracker, Brass Theater featuring the Star of Indiana, Dance Chicago, Schaumburg Dance Ensemble, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Stars of Dance Chicago and Dance for Life.
Pupillo has worked with the Pride of Cincinnati, a world class winter guard, and The Cavaliers, an award-winning DCI champion drum corps, as a choreographer and instructor. He has set pieces for Chicago Dance Crash, Inaside Chicago Dance, Nomi Dance Company, Webster University, University of North Carolina, Greenville, and The Chicago Academy of the Arts. He has received various awards for his choreography, including "The Dance Chicago 2005 Outstanding Choreography Award," "The Dance Chicago 2012 Outstanding Choreographer Award, Body of Work" and "The Cliff Dwellers 2013 Choreographer of the Year. He teaches across the country, providing master classes for studios, university programs, and companies. He has taught for the Jazz Dance World Congress, Chicago Dance Connection and Chicago National Association of Dance Masters. Pupillo is currently a continuing artist in residence at Culver Military Academy.
On April 12 and 13, Nick and his Visceral Studio Company present their 2014 Spring dance series at Harris Theater for Music and Dance at Chicago's Millennium Park. Tickets are $25 to $75 and available at (312) 334-7777 or harristheaterchicago.org.
Half way there
Here's the half way update about our local contestants competing in the 2014 Seattle Sutton Slim Down Challenge. It's Week 8 of 15 and pounds continue to shed:
• Annette Walker, 57 of Gary, STARTING WEIGHT: 235, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 18.6
• Jessica Mignard, 31, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 196.6, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 31
• Linda Adams, 46, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 204.8, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 16.2
• Lon Saloman, 45, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 269, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 40.4
• Maureen Anleitner, 60, of Chesterton, STARTING WEIGHT: 225, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 18.6
• Michael Adams, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 247, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 37
• Dr. Michael Perez., 46, of Munster, STARTING WEIGHT: 256, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 45.5
• Rebekah Cowan, 50, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 181, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 21.6
• Sue Kiefer, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 182, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 32.6
• Tim Kreke, 62, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 264, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 8 WEEKS: 46.4