It's great to be back home after a few days quick visit to Toronto.
Compared to the lingering cold temperatures in Canada, it's far warmer weather here in the Region.
April Stevens, director of communications for Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating asked me to remind readers about next weekend's Slim Down Contest Mall Walk at Southlake Mall in Merrillville at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 12. Although Seattle Sutton won't be able to make it, her daughters Sarah Borgstrom and Ruth Egofske (who lives in Crown Point) will be there walking with the 10 contestants I've been writing about in my Sunday columns for the past three months.
All of the contestants will be decked out in their bright green T-shirts. The "meet and greet" starts at the main entrance upper level between Dick's Sporting Goods and Sears.
It's a wonderful opportunity to support the contestants, ask questions and see them prior to the final few weeks before the contest concludes on April 28.
This is the fifth year the Chicagoland claim-to-fame healthy prepared and packaged meal franchise has sponsored a Slim Down Contest to help participants lose weight, learn about portion-control and healthy menu planning while also vying for prizes.
While the first four contests were focused on Chicago and the suburbs, this year's contest targeted 10 lucky residents in Northwest Indiana's Lake and Porter counties to lose weight and improve their health.
Each of the 10 chosen contestants are receiving 21 provided meals per week from Seattle Sutton's famed kitchens for a total of 315 meals throughout the 15-week challenge. The meals consist of freshly prepared breakfasts, lunches and dinner items, amounting to an allowance of 1,200 calories per day. Contestants are told to add two glasses of fat-free (skim) milk each day and a minimum of eight glasses of water per day.
The contestants who lose the most weight based on percentage of body weight win.
Only four more
This week's update for our local contestants competing in the 2014 Seattle Sutton Slim Down Challenge is the final stretch. It's Week 11 of 15 and here are the latest results:
• Annette Walker, 57 of Gary, STARTING WEIGHT: 235, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 28
• Jessica Mignard, 31, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 196.6, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 36.6
• Linda Adams, 46, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 204.8, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 18.8
• Lon Saloman, 45, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 269, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 47
• Maureen Anleitner, 60, of Chesterton, STARTING WEIGHT: 225, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 21.4
• Michael Adams, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 247, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 45.2
• Dr. Michael Perez., 46, of Munster, STARTING WEIGHT: 256, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 56.5
• Rebekah Cowan, 50, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 181, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 27.2
• Sue Kiefer, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 182, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 45.2
• Tim Kreke, 62, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 264, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 11 WEEKS: 59.4