A reader wrote to me with a question about one of our "honorary Hoosier sons," actor Mark Harmon.
"Rather than a phone call, I decided to just write you for the help I need. Do you know where I could write or call to get an autographed photo of Mark Harmon, from the TV show 'NCIS?' I want it for a surprise gift for someone who is such a big fan of the show and Harmon's charactor Leroy Jethro. I think the show is on CBS. Thank you!"
Thank you for your letter and for reading my columns. Actor Mark Harmon, 62, is the son of legendary football star and World War II hero Tom Harmon, who drew national attention to Horace Mann High School in Gary during the 1930s. Mark's father, who captured the Heisman Trophy, college football's highest honor, in 1940, remains the only native Hoosier to have won it. He was also the father-in-law of the late pop singer Ricky Nelson. While Mark was born in Burbank, Calif., his father was born in Rennselaer in 1919, moved to Gary as a young child and was considered the best high school football player in the country. After winning the Heisman for his gridiron triumphs at the University of Michigan, he became a pilot during World War II, survived two harrowing plane crashes and then launched a career as a pioneering sportscaster in TV and radio before his death at age 70 on March 15, 1990.
Mark, who was a two-year starting quarterback for the UCLA Bruins prior to his acting career, previously dated singer Karen Carpenter before he married actress Pam Dawber in 1987. The couple have two sons: Sean, 26 and Ty, 21.
As for where to write to Mark for your autographed photo request, you have two options, either via the television studio or to his own production company. I've included both addresses, and remember, including a self addressed and stamped envelope helps expedite the process. Good Luck!
Att: Mark Harmon
26030 Avenue Hall
Valencia, CA 91355
c/o Wings Productions, Inc.
2236-A Encinitas Boulevard
Encinitas, CA 92024
The final five
This week marks the two-thirds milestone for our local contestants competing in the 2014 Seattle Sutton Slim Down Challenge. It's Week 10 of 15 and here are the latest results:
• Annette Walker, 57 of Gary, STARTING WEIGHT: 235, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 24.4
• Jessica Mignard, 31, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 196.6, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 36.4
• Linda Adams, 46, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 204.8, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 20
• Lon Saloman, 45, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 269, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 46
• Maureen Anleitner, 60, of Chesterton, STARTING WEIGHT: 225, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 19.2
• Michael Adams, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 247, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 44.8
• Dr. Michael Perez., 46, of Munster, STARTING WEIGHT: 256, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 52
• Rebekah Cowan, 50, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 181, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 25.4
• Sue Kiefer, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 182, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 40.2
• Tim Kreke, 62, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 264, WEIGHT LOSS AFTER FIRST 10 WEEKS: 55.4