Happy Groundhog's Day!
Next Sunday, volunteers from The Humane Society of Northwest Indiana head to Chicago Street Theatre, 154 W. Chicago St. in Valparaiso for a special Jim Peterik Storyteller Concert.
Staff from Humane Society of Northwest Indiana will offer fans a chance to win a guitar autographed by many of Peterik’s rock star friends from his all-star World Stage Project. Raffle tickets are $10 and the concert begins at 7:30 p.m., with volunteers in the lobby starting at 6:30 p.m.
I'm told Jim supports causes close to his heart, and has generously donated this autographed guitar personally signed by Jim, the vocalist/guitarist/keyboardist co-founder of both The Ides of March and Survivor, in addition to signatures from vocalist Mike Reno of Loverboy (remembered for songs like "Turn Me Loose" and "Working For The Weekend"), vocalist David Pack of Ambrosia (known for "You're The Biggest Part of Me" and "How Much I Feel"), drummer/vocalist Kelly Keagy of Night Ranger (with claim-to-fame songs like "Sister Christian" and "Rock In America") and vocalist/lead guitarist Keith Burns of Trick Pony (and their songs "Pour Me" and "On A Night Like This"), as well as members of classic Chicago-based rock band The Ides of March (famed for songs like "Vehicle" and "L.A. Goodbye").
As for his concert next Sunday, here's your chance to spend an evening hearing the stories behind such monster hits as "Vehicle," "Eye Of The Tiger," "The Search Is Over," "Hold On Loosely," "Rocking Into The Night," "Heavy Metal," "L.A. Goodbye," and many more from a career spanning nearly 50 years.
I'm told volunteers will also be accepting food and supply donations for the animal shelter from 6 p.m. until the concert's end. Needed supplies include: Pedigree Puppy Chow, Purina Dog/Cat/Kitten Chow, paper towels, Clorox Bleach, clay cat litter, Softscrub with Bleach, Lysol Spray, 55-gal. trash bags, blankets, towels, and "Forever" postage stamps.
Concert tickets are $25 reserved. FYI: chicagostreet.org or call (219) 464-1636 or millercritters.net or (219) 938-3339.
Playing the scales
As promised, here's an update about our local contestants competing in the 2014 Seattle Sutton Slim Down Challenge. Here's Week 2 results:
• Annette Walker, 57 of Gary, STARTING WEIGHT: 235, this week's weight, 225.5 , total loss: 9.5
• Jessica Mignard, 31, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 196.6, this week's weight, 183.6 , total loss: 13
• Linda Adams, 46, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 204.8, this week's weight, 199.8, total loss: 5
• Lon Saloman, 45, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 269, this week's weight, 253, total loss: 16
• Maureen Anleitner, 60, of Chesterton, STARTING WEIGHT: 225, this week's weight, 218.4, total loss: 6.6
• Michael Adams, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 247, this week's weight, 231.6, total loss: 15.4
• Dr. Michael Perez., 46, of Munster, STARTING WEIGHT: 256, this week's weight, 237.5, total loss: 18.5
• Rebekah Cowan, 50, of Valparaiso, STARTING WEIGHT: 181, this week's weight, 173, total loss: 8
• Sue Kiefer, 52, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 182, this week's weight, 169.8, total loss: 12.2
• Tim Kreke, 62, of Crown Point, STARTING WEIGHT: 264, this week's weight, 245, total loss: 19