Five regional bands and at least as many costumed characters will gather together as Goodfellas Bar & Grill literally goes to the dogs (and the cats too) Sunday during an afternoon fundraiser benefiting the Humane Society of Northwest Indiana in Miller (www.millercritters.com). A free will donation will be requested to attend. More: (219) 374-6700.
Bad Cadillac band members Darrell Terry and Bill Hayden organized the all age event running from 2-7 p.m. and performing along with their group will be Jebco Black, Gerhart, Flashpoint, and The Robots. Each performs a 60-minute set on the outdoor patio stage. In the case of rain, the bands will perform indoors.
Hayden is a videographer and came up with the idea for Sunday’s fundraiser after spending a day at the Humane Society of Northwest Indiana while shooting footage for a promotional video to celebrate the Miller shelter’s 100th anniversary in 2014. Hayden approached management at Goodfellas (U.S. 41 / 11200 West 129th Avenue) where Bad Cadillac performs a weekly gig and then Terry stepped in to line up the various bands.
Bad Cadillac are a five-piece Southern Rock group that mixes cover songs with original tunes from their 10-track debut CD, “Dance The Night Away,” released this spring. “We do a lot of charity work,” said Hayden of his group. “These guys are great musicians with really big hearts. We are very happy that we are able to do this for the animals.”
Sarah Miller whose theatrical company “Once Upon A Celebration,” provides costumed characters for birthday parties and special events, heard about the Goodfellas' event while her colorful crew were performing at a local festival over Fourth of July weekend. She volunteered to send some of their best-loved characters to help the critter cause.
“We’ll have some of our fairytale favorites like Snow White, Rupunzel, and Belle there, as well as superheroes Spiderman, Captain America and Leonardo the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle,” explained Miller noting more about her company of colorful characters can be found at: www.onceuponacelebration.org.
HSNI Shelter Director, Betty Clayton noted patrons will have a chance to win a White Sox game package of four premium seats and a parking pass and other prizes at Sunday’s event.
• John Mellencamp fans wanting to hear their favorite songs by Seymour, Indiana’s famous rocker can get the next best thing to the real deal this evening when Don Wilson steps on the pavilion stage at Centennial Memorial Park in Munster to recreate those tunes with his nationally touring tribute band, Mellencougar. The free all age concert starts tonight at 8 p.m. and features an opening set of high energy country and rock by Northwest Indiana’s Allen Wronko Band. More: www.munster.org or (219) 836-PARK (7275).
• The music continues on Saturday at Centennial Memorial Park as the Munster Parks and Recreation Department presents its now annual “Grape Escape Wine Tasting Music Fest” from noon to 8 p.m. All ages are welcome to enjoy the free music, but there is a charge for the wine tasting.
For a fee of $5 per person, festival-goers over the age of 21 can enter the tasting area for samples of local wine and beer from Buck Creek Winery, Easley Winery, and Madison County Winery, as well as Calumet Brewing. Additional glasses of wine and beer will be sold by the vendors along with bottles for carry out. More: www.munster.org or (219) 836-PARK (7275).
• Local singer/songwriters John Carpenter and Mark Mybeck (members of the band Nomad Planets) will perform as a musical duo this Sunday to open the 7:30 p.m. “One Night Jam” concert headlined by international singer/songwriter Michael McDermott at Chicago Street Theatre (154 West Chicago Street) in Valparaiso. Tickets: $25. More: www.chicagostreet.org or (219) 464-1636.
• Guitarist Chris Henderson of 3 Doors Down will be the musical guest at 6 p.m. this evening on 89.1FM-The Lakeshore’s “Midwest BEAT with Tom Lounges” radio program, which is streamed live online at: www.lakeshorepublicmedia.org/radio. 3 Doors Down perform a co-headline concert with Daughtry on July 25 at The Venue at Horseshoe Casino in Hammond. Concert info: www.horseshoehammond.com or (219) 473-7000.
• On Saturday region rock favorites The Crawpuppies perform a mix of cover songs and original tunes for “The Annual Lakeshore PAWS Pup Crawl” at Central Park Plaza in downtown Valparaiso. This event runs from 4 to 10 p.m. and is the animal rescue group’s biggest event of the year. Along with music from The Crawpuppies, will be a dog walk, a variety of kid’s entertainment, food vendors, pet vendors, a beer garden and more! More: (219) 476-7297 or http://www.lakeshorepaws.org/
Then on Tuesday, July 23 the musical guest on “Midwest BEAT with Tom Lounges” will be Blue Oyster Cult’s guitarist/vocalist/co-founder, Eric Bloom. BOC will perform an outdoor concert in downtown Valparaiso on July 27. Concert info: www.ValparaisoEvents.com or (219) 464-8332.