National Coffee Day and its abundance of free and discounted java is upon us, but that's not the only way to celebrate your favorite caffeinated beverage. Here are a few more upcoming options in 2017 (and some to look forward to next year).
Already past — Jan. 18: National Gourmet Coffee Day
If you're looking for an excuse to indulge in a better-than-average cup of coffee, here it is. National Gourmet Coffee Day is celebrated annually on Jan. 18.
Jan. 25: National Irish Coffee Day
For the uninitiated, this drink consists of hot coffee, Irish whiskey and sugar mixed together and then topped with thick cream. Enjoy.
National Irish Coffee Day is celebrated annually on Jan. 25.
April 7: National Coffee Cake Day
Although there's generally not coffee in coffee cake, it's still a nice companion to your morning cup of joe. You should be able to find some variation in most coffee shops, or you could always make your own.
July 26: National Coffee Milkshake Day
This is how coffee lovers do National Ice Cream Month (which is July, by the way). The holiday is observed every year on July 26.
Sept. 6: National Coffee Ice Cream Day
While you'd think this would take place during National Ice Cream Month in July as well, you'll have to wait until September to celebrate the official National Coffee Ice Cream Day. IceCream.com has some recipe suggestions for you, including tiramisu ice cream cake and toasted java chip crumble.
Sept. 29: National Coffee Day
Friday, Sept. 29 is National Coffee Day — the most popular of the coffee holidays. This is the day when most national coffee chains (and many local ones) show appreciation for their customers by handing out free coffee. However, some require coupons or a purchase.
This year's participants include:
- Dunkin' Donuts: One free medium hot coffee with the purchase of a medium or larger hot coffee.
- Krispy Kreme: A free cup of hot coffee of any size, or a small iced coffee each day from Sept. 29 through Oct. 1.
- Peet's Coffee: 25 percent off coffee beans along with with a free medium coffee or tea to anyone who buys a bag. You also get 25 percent off coffee online using the code "coffeeday17."
- McDonald's: McDonald's is continuing its current promotion of any small McCafe beverage for $2.
- Keurig: Keurig will be offering 20 percent off all coffee pods purchased through its website between Sept. 29 and Oct. 1 if customers use the code "celebrate."
- 7-Eleven: Customers can get a free, medium hot coffee between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. on National Coffee Day.
Of course, you can always celebrate on your own just by drinking a little extra coffee at home.
Oct. 1: International Coffee Day
This year will mark the third annual International Coffee Day, as set by the International Coffee Organization (ICO).
It's meant to be a "global celebration of coffee’s journey from the farm to your local shop" in honor of the people who produce our favorite caffeinated beverage.