The exhibition covers 35,000 square feet of space at the museum.
It contains 200 artifacts including historic newspapers and photographs, videos, radio transmissions, re-enactments of key events, artwork, testimonials from U.S. Navy veterans who captured the sub.
The U-505 is the only remaining Type IX-C submarine in the world.
The U-505 became part of the permanent collection and was opened to the public in 1954.
The submarine was housed outside the MSI building until it was moved into the current exhibition space in 2005.
Navy Caption Daniel Gallery, a Chicagoan, led the Hunter-Killer Task Group 22.3 which captured the sub and was instrumental in bringing the submarine to the MSI.
The U-505 weighs 700 tons and is 252-feet long, “face-to-face,” according to the museum.
It took 1000 hours to completely refurbish and restore the exterior of the U-505 before it was moved in 2005.
The U-505 is a National Historic Landmark.
Interactive units surrounding the sub include: Crack the code; Life on Board; On Patrol and Buoyancy Challenge.
The transport of the U-505 into the exhibition space began in April 2004 and was directed by NORSAR, an engineering company that specializes in moving large industrial objects.
The U-505 was moved more than 1000 feet over several days, made several 90-degree turns and lowered four inches at a time in the underground space it occupies now which measures 75 X 300 feet and is 42 feet deep.
The Museum of Science and Industry is open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. except Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Find MSI online at msichicago.org
Contact MSI by phone at 773-684-1414 or 800-go-to-MSI.