GARY — An elderly couple died and a teenage girl was seriously injured in a house fire overnight in the city's Glen Park East section.
The Gary Fire Department received a call at 12:12 a.m. Saturday for a residential structure fire in the 4600 block of Delaware Street, department spokesman Mark Jones said.
Crews arrived on scene minutes later to find smoke coming from a residence, he said.
Firefighters were able to pull three unconscious people out of the house, two of whom died later at the hospital. A 15-year-old girl was airlifted to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood due to her injuries, Jones said.
Isiah Hunter, 85, of Gary, was pronounced dead at 12:44 a.m. at Methodist Hospitals Northlake Campus in Gary, according to a Lake County coroner's news release. Joella Hunter, 83, was pronounced dead at 1:06 a.m. at the same hospital, the coroner said.
The 15-year-old girl's relationship with the elderly couple was not known, Jones said. Her condition Saturday was not immediately known.
A preliminary investigation determined a space heater in the basement likely was left on and set fire to nearby combustible material, sparking the blaze, Jones said.
Jones said the fire appears to be accidental. The home was badly damaged. Crews were on scene for about two hours, he said.