Battle of the Ridge to stay at park

Businessmen kick in cash to keep war re-enactors in Highland
2007-04-06T00:00:00Z Battle of the Ridge to stay at parkCHARLES F. HABER
Times Correspondent
nwitimes.com
April 06, 2007 12:00 am  • 

HIGHLAND | A Revolutionary War re-enactors' group won't have to pull up camp after all because the Battle of the Ridge will stay in town.

Dealing with a tight budget, town officials said they had nothing left to pay $3,600 to help cover the cost of putting on the late August show in Main Square Park. That money would specifically take care of the purchase of firewood and straw and rental of portable restrooms.

Part of that cost was absorbed when the Park Board said the group, the 2nd VA Regiment of the Continental Line, could use the restrooms in the remodeled Main Square Park.

But without funding for the other supplies, the mock battle was looking to locate elsewhere, said Liz Breslin, who organizes the event with her husband, John.

Then several businessmen, including three major firms, agreed to pay for the supplies, Breslin said.

They want to remain anonymous and give the donations on behalf of all Highland residents, Breslin said.

"Everybody is just very excited and grateful that the event is still going to be here," she said.

Breslin said the businessmen also want to establish a special fund for anyone else wishing to donate to the re-enactment.

The Northwest Territory Alliance, which organizes the re-enactors in this area, forbids them from soliciting donations, but ruled earlier this week that the private donations are acceptable, Breslin said.

The show is set for the third weekend in August.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results