HAMMOND — A Gary man was sentenced Tuesday on charges he distributed a deadly mix of heroin and fentanyl and violated terms of his supervised release in connection with a prior drug conviction. 

"There are not many more dangerous and lethal drugs on the market then those sold by this defendant," prosecutors recently wrote in a sentencing memorandum in the case. 

Corey Taylor, 35, was sentenced to 57 months in prison for the heroin distribution count and an additional 8 months, to be served consecutively, for his violation of his supervised release, according to U.S. District court records. 

Taylor was selling "extremely dangerous drugs," including methamphetamine, crack cocaine and heroin, over a period of at least three months in Northwest Indiana, court records show. 

All three of those drugs were seized during controlled buys and searches of Taylor's home and vehicle.

Heroin tested positive in a lab for fentanyl and carfentanil, both synthetic opioids, prosecutors said. 

Carfentanil is 100-times more potent than heroin. Fentanyl is 50 times more potent than heroin and its mixture with heroin has been linked to a rise in overdeath deaths across the country, prosecutors wrote in the case. 

"The presence of both of these substances is highly disturbing as it not only presents an extreme danger to (Taylor's) customers, in that its use can lead to death in doses as small as 2 milligrams, but can be a public safety hazard because exposure through inhaling or through the skin can cause an overdose leaving the general public and law enforcement at risk," the government wrote.

Undercover federal agents and the Gary Police Department purchased drugs from Taylor three times under controlled conditions, according to the U.S. Attorney's office. 

As part of his plea deal, the federal government agreed to drop three other heroin distribution and possession charges levied against Taylor. 

This case was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration/Lake County HIDTA Group in cooperation with the Gary Police Department and prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Thomas McGrath.