HOBART — Police say they have forwarded a case for a fatal July 28 crash to the Lake County Prosecutor's Office to review for potential charges. 

A crash report shows motorcyclist Jeffrey S. Marquiss, 51, of Hobart, died after his motorcycle collided with a vehicle at U.S. 30 and Grand Blvd.

A preliminary report shows the other driver's failure to yield was the contributing factor in the crash.

Police arrived on scene about 4:45 p.m. to find Marquiss on the ground being administered CPR. He later died at St. Mary Medical Center in Hobart.  

The driver in the first vehicle said she was northbound on Grand Boulevard waiting to turn left to go westbound on U.S. 30 when she struck Marquiss' southbound motorcycle, the report notes. A witness told police he observed the vehicle turn left into the motorcycle, according to the crash report. 

The driver's name is being withheld because the individual has not been charged. The results of a chemical test conducted on the driver at the scene indicated she was not under the influence of any intoxicants, police said. 

According to family, Marquiss' wife was a passenger on the motorcycle and is recovering from her injuries.

Marquiss' sister, Cheri Marquiss Dalton, of Chatham, Illinois, said the family wants to see the driver cited or charged in the crash that resulted in her brother's death. 

"My whole thing is I know this woman is probably devastated. But it doesn’t bring my brother back," she said. "At least ticketed. I'm questioning why she wasn’t cited? Obviously, the report says she was at fault, I don’t understand.”

Police confirmed they documented the driver's failure to yield in the report, but have not ticketed her. Police said they forwarded the case to the prosecutor's office last week for review. 

Dalton said her brother grew up in Highland and Schererville and attended Lake Central High School before moving to Florida for several years. He returned home in the mid 1990s and was an avid biker and fan of Harley Davidson. 

Hobart Police declined to comment on the results of the toxicology results of the deceased, pending the consideration of charges through the Lake County prosecutor’s office. 

Toxicology screenings were sent to the prosecutor's office as part of the overall investigation, police said. 

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community. Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.


Lauren covers breaking news, crime and courts for The Times. She previously worked at The Herald-News in Joliet covering government, public policy, and the region’s heroin epidemic. She holds a master’s degree in Public Affairs Reporting.