INDIANAPOLIS | U.S. Sen. Dan Coats, R-Ind., responded Friday to Vladimir Putin's edict banning him from Russia with a humorous, David Letterman-inspired top 10 list of his Russia travel plans that now may never be realized.
Coats, a former ambassador to Germany, was one of six members of Congress and three White House aides Putin prohibited from entering Russia Thursday in retaliation for economic sanctions on Russian officials and Putin allies imposed by President Barack Obama.
The Hoosier senator said he was "honored" to make Putin's enemies list, and cheekily replied on Twitter with a list of his own:
Here are the top 10 things I won't be able to do since Putin banned me from Russia, by Dan Coats
1. Our summer vacation in Siberia is a no-go.
2. I won't be able to see if borscht really does taste just like pork tenderloin.
3. I won't be able to compare Russiaville, Ind., with Russia.
4. I'll have to cancel my tennis match with Maria Sharapova.
5. I won't be able to counsel Duma members on how to say "no" to a president.
6. I won't be able to buy Marsha a Russian mink coat for Christmas.
7. I won't be able to ski on the slushy slopes of Sochi.
8. I'll never learn the Russian name for our dog Hoosier.
9. I won't be able to compare the Bolshoi Opera House with the Palladium in Carmel, Ind.
10. I won't be able to complete my granddaughter's Russian doll collection.