He must have been triple-dog dared

Hammond boy's tongue freezes to light pole
2009-01-15T00:00:00Z He must have been triple-dog daredTimes Staff nwitimes.com
January 15, 2009 12:00 am  • 

HAMMOND | A North Hammond boy learned a valuable lesson about tongues and freezing metal Tuesday night.

Police were called to the 3900 block of Hohman Avenue shortly after 8:30 p.m. and found the 10-year-old with his tongue stuck to a streetlight pole.

The Field Elementary School fourth-grader managed to mumble to police that a friend had dared him to lick the fixture.

By the time an ambulance arrived, the boy had managed to yank himself away from the light pole, police said.

Medics explained to the boy's mother, whom they described as "pretty upset," how to care for his bleeding tongue.

"You'd think everybody in the country had seen 'A Christmas Story' by now," said a police officer at the scene who asked to remain anonymous. "Remember what happened to Flick."

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Do you expect the former Sheraton Hotel in Gary to be demolished by the end of the year?

View Results

National Video