SPRINGFIELD | The U.S. Supreme Court has decided to wait until Friday to discuss a lawsuit brought by Michigan that seeks to force Illinois to block Asian carp from entering Lake Michigan.
The justices had been scheduled to discuss the issue last week.
Joel Brammeier, president and CEO of the Alliance for the Great Lakes, which supports Michigan’s case, said the court moves at its own pace.
"That’s what you draw when working with the Supreme Court," he said. "This is sort of uncharted territory."
For the Supreme Court to hear a suit in three weeks, that is unusually quick, Brammeier noted.
"The real crux here is how fast can we get those emergency protection steps in place so we can ensure these Asian Carp can’t get into the Great Lakes," he said.
Several Great Lake states, including Indiana, have joined Michigan’s lawsuit calling for the severing of access points between Lake Michigan and the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, as well as portions of other local waterways.
Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox filed the suit in the Supreme Court in December, and Minnesota, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York since have joined in.
The states allege that the Asian carp could destroy the native fish and marine life in all of the Great Lakes, and could cripple the lakes’ $7 billion commercial and sport fishing industry.
The Illinois attorney general's office did not have a comment regarding the case’s delay.