Gas leak to blame for Cal City home explosion

2013-06-08T20:33:00Z 2013-06-08T22:04:06Z Gas leak to blame for Cal City home explosionTimes Staff
June 08, 2013 8:33 pm  • 

CALUMET CITY | Officials said a gas leak caused an explosion at an abandoned Calumet City home Saturday that knocked the structure off of its foundation.

Firefighters were called at 1 p.m. to the home in the 300 block of Yates Avenue for a report of an explosion, Deputy Fire Chief Rich Banske said. When firefighters arrived, they found and quickly extinguished a small fire, Banske said.

No injuries were reported, and surrounding homes were not damaged, Banske said.

The force of the blast forced the home off its foundation, prompting an emergency demolition order, Banske said. The demolition was taking place Saturday afternoon, he said.

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses



Who do you support for Lake County assessor?

View Results

Illinois Newsletters