Charges pending for Ga. man after standoff in Chicago

2014-03-17T15:52:00Z 2014-03-18T00:11:05Z Charges pending for Ga. man after standoff in ChicagoThe Associated Press The Associated Press
March 17, 2014 3:52 pm  • 

CHICAGO | Charges are pending against a Georgia man who held police at bay for more than eight hours during a standoff on Chicago's iconic Lake Shore Drive.

Police said Monday the man is in custody. They did not release his name but according to a news release from the Henry County Police Department, the man is Joseph A. Felton Jr., 43, who is a suspect in the homicide of his wife Sheray L. Felton.

Sheray Felton was found dead Sunday in Hampton, Ga., police said. Hampton, Ga., is about 30 miles south of Atlanta.

Sunday's standoff prompted the shutdown of the busy road, which wasn't reopened until early Monday.

Sunday's chase began around 12:30 p.m. in the Chicago suburb of Harvey and continued into Chicago.

Harvey officers were given information about the man's whereabouts and a description of the car.

The suspect was last seen driving a black Chrysler 300 that had an Illinois license plate, Henry County police said. Officers warned the public to use caution because Felton had a history of violence.

The suspect fled from Harvey police Sunday afternoon and drove through multiple interstates from the south suburbs to Chicago, according to a news release from the Harvey Police Department.

Illinois State Police, the Cook County Sheriff's Office and the Chicago Police Department were also involved in the chase.

The chase injured four people — including a 10-year-old and a Chicago police officer. None of their injuries were life-threatening.

The chase ended at 1:10 p.m. after the man crashed near Fullerton Avenue and Lake Shore Drive, Harvey police said.

However, the man did not come out of the car until late Sunday. The standoff between police and the man closed sections of Lake Shore Drive for hours, clogging traffic in the area for much of Sunday. Joggers, walkers and cyclists were diverted from the area.

Chicago police had deemed the situation an "active barricade situation" on Sunday night with officers from area agencies responding on the scene.

Police say the man was armed with knives and had self-inflicted injuries.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses



Do you support a 10-cent tax increase for Lan-Oak Park District?

View Results

Illinois Newsletters