'Transformers' film crews return to Chicago

2013-08-23T18:30:00Z 2013-08-23T23:13:11Z 'Transformers' film crews return to ChicagoGregory Tejeda Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
August 23, 2013 6:30 pm  • 

CHICAGO | Crews began filming the latest "Transformers" movie sequel Friday at Grant and Millennium parks.

The shoot is expected to end in about a month at the former U.S. Steel South Works site in the city's 10th Ward.

Chicago Film Office Director Rich Moskal said crews will be shooting scenes at locations throughout the city.

At nearly 600 acres, the former U.S. Steel site,, between 79th and 91st streets along the lakefront, is the largest single undeveloped tract within the city.

Tenth Ward Alderman John Pope said crews want to use the site to shoot helicopter takeoffs and landings and other technical scenes that will be incorporated into the film.

Moskal said it is likely people living in the nearby South Chicago and South Shore neighborhoods will not be able to see much of the filming when crews arrive.

"There are parts of the (South Works) site that currently have no public access,” Moskal said. "It’s a confined area that’s not really open to the public, which is why they want to do some of the work there."

The site is where McCafferty Interests wants to develop single-family and high-rise housing along with parks, a marina and a new high school. It has no access now, although city officials are in the process of extending Lake Shore Drive directly into the proposed development.

A Facebook page for "Transformers 4" indicates the film is planned for release June 27, 2014. The science fiction/action films are based on the popular children's toys created by Hasbro.

It's not the first time a "Transformers" movie crew has filmed in the region. "Transformers 3" filmed heavily in Chicago and Northwest Indiana, including in parts of Gary and East Chicago.

In September 2010, an extra actor from Chicago was severely injured while driving her own vehicle for a scene in "Transformers 3" during filming on a closed portion of the Cline Avenue Bridge in East Chicago.

Gabriela V. Cedillo, then 24, was at the wheel of her car while it was being towed by another vehicle when the towing cable snapped, smashing the windshield and striking Cedillo's head.

Her car rolled a mile, grinding along a concrete median before coming to a stop. She was airlifted to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, Ill., where she was put into a medically induced coma.

In May 2012, Cedillo won an $18.5 million settlement from Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Studios.

Cedillo's attorneys said an inadequate superficial weld had been applied to secure the bracket to the stunt car. Her attorneys argued the movie studios originally said they would take care of her medical bills but tried to avoid payment.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Should the Indiana attorney general's office compel all Lake County municipalities to merge E-911 dispatch services?

View Results

Illinois Newsletters