Homewood woman sues police over shooting death of her son

2013-02-05T17:45:00Z 2013-02-05T19:28:05Z Homewood woman sues police over shooting death of her sonMarisa Kwiatkowski marisa.kwiatkowski@nwi.com, (219) 662-5333 nwitimes.com

CHICAGO | A Homewood woman is suing local police, seeking damages in the shooting death of her son, federal court records show.

Marcia Holton filed a lawsuit earlier this month in U.S. District Court in Chicago, claiming two officers used excessive, unprovoked and unreasonable force when one or both of them shot her 30-year-old son, Brandon Culpepper.

Culpepper died Jan. 27 of a gunshot wound, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office.

The examiner's office reported a Homewood police officer fatally shot Culpepper after responding to a report of a disturbance before 10 a.m. at an apartment building in the 900 block of Olive Road.

The shooting is under investigation by Illinois State Police, State Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said. She told The Times Tuesday that the investigation remains in its initial stages.

Homewood police could not be reached Tuesday for comment.

Holton did not name the two police officers she is suing in federal court. She claims they violated her son's Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights, federal court records show.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Does the state do enough to cultivate economic growth in Northwest Indiana?

View Results