Investigation continues into suspicious letter sent to governor's office

2014-01-11T00:00:00Z Investigation continues into suspicious letter sent to governor's officeKurt Erickson Lee Springfield Bureau nwitimes.com
January 11, 2014 12:00 am  • 

SPRINGFIELD | More than a month after one of Gov. Pat Quinn's capital city offices was evacuated because of a suspicious substance, investigators continue to probe the incident.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service said Friday that a joint investigation with the Federal Bureau of Investigation into the Dec. 3 scare remains underway.

“The investigation is not closed,” said Julie Kenney, public information representative.

Last month, local and state law enforcement officials descended on Quinn's constituent service office across the street from the Statehouse when employees opened an envelope containing a “suspicious substance.”

The office was evacuated, causing an extra stir because it came as the General Assembly was meeting nearby on the contentious issue of overhauling the state employee retirement systems.

While the white powder was quickly found to be nonhazardous, officials said the content of an enclosed letter was alarming.

Kenney would not disclose the content of the letter Friday, nor would she speculate on how much longer the investigation would be underway.

“We don't want to jeopardize anything,” Kenney said.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Is a town marshal needed in Winfield?

View Results