LANSING | On Jan. 22, the Lansing Lions Club celebrated its 75th anniversary dinner at the Lansing Country Club, at 186th Street and Wentworth Avenue.
The Lions Club International director, Lion Brian E. Sheehan, was the guest speaker and the past District 1-A governor, Lion Ken Straka, was the master of ceremonies. District 1-A encompasses all of Cook County.
There were more than 160 Lions and guests from various Lions Clubs all over the area in attendance helping celebrate this milestone event. Also, Sheehan installed Calumet City Lion inductee Chuck Eggelbrecht and Lansing Lion inductee Steve Zitek as new members. The night was a combination of dedication, fellowship and fun.
The Lansing Lions original charter was signed by Melvin Jones, the founder of Lionism. The founding group of the Lansing Lions Club and the succeeding members have advanced the Lions motto, "We Serve" by undertaking projects which support the blind, the less fortunate, the youth and community of Lansing. Club members from all walks of life have consistently given of their time to achieve these goals.
Lansing Lions Club contributes in many ways to the community. The club provides:
* Annual scholarships (more than $240,000 has been awarded)
* Sports Complex Lighting
* EMT Defibrillator
* Lansing Good Neighbor Parade Sponsor
* Fire Department mascot "Pluggie"
* Police Department Jaws of Life
* Camp Quality Support
* Lansing Santa House Support
* Thanksgiving baskets for those less fortunate
* Eye exams and glasses, hearing exams and hearing aids for the needy
* Sponsorship fees and other support for Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and athletic youth programs
* Funding for various needs of the Park District, LARC, Junior Womans Club Veterans Appreciation Dinner. Community Pantry, Meals on Wheels, and needy individuals of Lansing.
The club members also support the projects of Lions International, the largest service organization in the world, by participating in Candy Day, the Sight and Sound Program, and Climactic Events Relief to name a few.
The Lansing club is a member of Lions Clubs International. The Lansing club was sponsored by the Hammond Lions Club in 1937. The Lansing Lions in turn sponsored the Calumet City, Harvey, South Holland, East Side, Homewood, Hegewisch, Lynwood, Sauk Village and Flossmoor Roshi (The Light) Lions Clubs.