LANSING | In 1893, the communities of Lansing, Oak Glen and Bernice were incorporated to become the Village of Lansing. A celebration will take place Sunday to commemorate that day 120 years ago.
The day's activities begin at noon with a historical tour of Ridge Road by bus, with loading in the parking lot behind Gayety's. At 2 p.m. at the American Legion Hall at Grant Street and Ridge Road, the ceremony begins with presentation of colors by the Lansing Veterans Memorial Ceremonial Honor Guard and the Lansing Fire Department Honor Guard. Following will be a reading of the original document of incorporation from 1893 and birthday cake. The day's events conclude at 7 p.m.
Food vendors will be available. A historical display will include early photos and historical artifacts. There will also be activities for children and a time capsule announcement.
An open house will take place the following weekend on March 9 at the Lansing Historical Museum from 10 a.m. until noon, with displays related to the 1890's and period music on a player piano.