4-year-old credited with saving family from perishing in mobile home fire

2012-12-17T11:51:00Z 2012-12-18T14:40:03Z 4-year-old credited with saving family from perishing in mobile home fireGregory Tejeda Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
December 17, 2012 11:51 am  • 

LYNWOOD | Fire Department officials plan to honor a 4-year-old boy Tuesday who they say alerted his family to a fire Saturday in their Alpine Village mobile home and saved them from perishing.

Officials say the fire’s cause is undecided, but it started in the furnace area and destroyed the home where the Thomas family lived.

Smoke detectors in the mobile home were working, but apparently did not awaken the family. They say it was 4-year-old Ronon Thomas who lived in the home with his parents and younger sister who was awoken by the smell of smoke.

Lynwood Fire Department Deputy Chief John Cobb said Ronon ran to the living room where his parents were sleeping, and woke them up.

“If he had not woken up, there likely would have been fatalities,” Cobb said.

When the parents, Brandon and Kelsey Thomas, were awake, Brandon Thomas ran to the back of the home where their 1-year-old daughter, Teyla, was asleep.

In order to get to her, Brandon Thomas had to run through a portion of the home that was afire. He suffered burns to his arms, legs and back, Cobb said.

He was taken to Franciscan St. Margaret Health hospital in Dyer, where he was treated and released, Cobb said.

Cobb said the Fire Department will hold a special ceremony at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the fire station at 3107 Glenwood-Dyer Road, where they will present Ronon Thomas and his father with citations commending their actions Saturday.

Village President Gene Williams and several village trustees are expected to attend the ceremony, Cobb said.

The fire did not spread to any other structures, and no other people required medical attention although the family’s pet dog did perish in the fire, Cobb said.

The family is now staying with relatives who live in the area.

“They got out of there with the clothes on their backs, and nothing else,” Cobb said.

American Red Cross officials provided the family with some assistance on Saturday, and Cobb said the Fire Department has been able to provide them with some gift cards to area stores to help them with some of the purchases.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses



Should struggling small school districts merge with their neighbors?

View Results

Illinois Newsletters