National Donor Sabbath is observed during the month of November nearing the Thanksgiving holiday as an annual faith-based celebration on the lifesaving gift of organ, eye and tissue donation.
Gift of Hope Organ & Tissue Network and other organizations in the Donate Life Illinois donation advocacy coalition work closely with communities of faith to bring the message of donation to their congregations. During this holiday season, Gift of Hope not only gives thanks to those who have donated organs and tissue, but also encourages others to consider the greatest gift of all this season — the gift of life made possible by registering as a donor.
This simple act could save the life of one of the more than 115,000 Americans — including more than 5,000 in Illinois and 1,500 in Indiana — currently waiting for an organ transplant.
Some statistics: http://donatelife.net/nds2012/
* A single organ donor can save the lives of up to nine people.
* A single tissue donor can save or enhance the lives of more than 25 people.
* Most major religions support organ, eye and tissue donation, as one of the highest expressions of compassion and generosity. To learn more about religious views visit http://www.giftofhope.org/for_professionals/clergy/religious_viewpoints.htm.
* In 2011, organ donations saved more than 28,500 lives.
* Since its start in 1987, Gift of Hope has coordinated donations that have saved the lives of nearly 20,000 organ transplant recipients and saved or improved the lives of more than 160,000 tissue transplant recipients.
* More than 80 percent of adults support organ donation, however only 43 percent of the U.S. adult population, are registered as organ, eye and tissue donors. In Illinois, about 52 percent of the eligible population has registered as organ and tissue donors.
* On average, 18 patients die each day waiting for an organ.
* 85 percent of Americans donate to charitable organizations and among them, 34 percent are more likely to make contributions during the Holiday season (Causes.com)
To register as an organ, eye and tissue donor this holiday season, visit www.giftofhope.org.