South Holland seeks IDOT help in getting funds for sidewalk construction

2013-08-06T10:19:00Z 2013-08-06T23:27:11Z South Holland seeks IDOT help in getting funds for sidewalk constructionGregory Tejeda Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
August 06, 2013 10:19 am  • 

SOUTH HOLLAND | The village is seeking help from the Illinois Department of Transportation to fund a sidewalk project along 162nd and 170th streets.

Officials Monday conducted a public hearing, giving residents a chance to express their opinions on the project. Trustees then approved an application for funds from the Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program.

That program distributes federal funds to local governments for projects such as bicycle paths, walking trails and streetscape beautification.

State officials have said sidewalk construction also qualifies, provided the sidewalks comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act. The deadline for applications is Aug. 20, which is why the Village Board had to approve its application at Monday’s board meeting.

Village Attorney Timothy Lapp said officials want to fill in gaps in the sidewalks along 162nd Street and 170th Street. He said there areas as long as 200 feet in some points that do not have sidewalks.

Under the program, the state funds would cover 80 percent of the project, with the village required to pay the remaining 20 percent.

The application is not for a specific amount. Lapp said the village will accept whatever amount the state provides.

“It’s a very competitive process,” he said.

In other business, the Village Board approved an amendment to the traffic ordinance to permit stop signs be erected on 169th Place and 168th Street near South Park Avenue.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Poll

Loading…

Should Hammond police restore full-time participation in the Region STOP Team?

View Results

Illinois Newsletters