MICHIGAN CITY | The 6-year-old boy rescued from a sand dune at Mount Baldy last week remained in serious condition Friday but is now able to eat and walk with assistance, officials said.
Nathan Woessner, of Sterling, Ill., was rescued July 12 from a sinkhole at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore after being buried in 11 feet of sand for more than three hours.
"On Friday afternoon, Nathan got out of bed and was able to walk with assistance, and he is eating for the first time," Dr. Rachel Wolfson, of The University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital, said in a news release issued Friday.
However, the boy is still in serious condition, Wolfson said.
His condition was upgraded from critical condition Thursday.
The area around Mount Baldy is closed indefinitely as National Lakeshore officials investigate what caused the sinkhole.