CEDAR LAKE | A sleeping homeowner, alerted by his smoke detector alarm, woke to find his home and garage on fire Christmas night.
The homeowner called the Fire Department about 10 p.m. to report the fire. Firefighters arrived on the scene to find the garage engulfed in flames from the fire, which had spread to the home at 11114 Parish Ave., Cedar Lake Fire Chief Todd Wilkening said.
Wilkening said the garage was destroyed along with a Bobcat, a pickup truck and car. Damages to the home, which was insured, are estimated at $80,000 not including the vehicles, Wilkening said.
The sole occupant of the home was not injured, and there were no pets, Wilkening said.
The Cedar Lake Fire Department was assisted by departments from Crown Point, St. John and Lake Dalecarlia in fighting the two-alarm fire, which took three hours to extinguish.
The displaced resident is staying with relatives, Wilkening said.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental and not intentionally set, he said.