CEDAR LAKE | A Cedar Lake man apparently attempting suicide was critically burned Saturday after an explosion in his apartment, police said.
The 54-year-old was taken from his apartment in the 11600 block of Wicker Avenue to Franciscan St. Anthony Health hospital and then airlifted to Loyola Medicine hospital in Chicago, according to Lake County sheriff's police.
Cedar Lake firefighters responded to the call at 3:58 p.m., sheriff's police said.
Firefighters found a stove in the apartment's kitchen with all the burners set to full on but with no flames, police said.
A cigarette lighter apparently detonated the natural gas that had built up, police said.
The explosion blew out a window and one wall of the apartment, police said. NIPSCO was called to cut electricity to the apartment.