CEDAR LAKE | The gasoline-splattered shirt of a 13-year-old Cedar Lake boy ignited Tuesday night when he attempted to light a cigarette.
The boy's mother took him to Franciscan St. Anthony Health in Crown Point. His burns were described as mild to severe.
Police were notified about the incident by hospital staff. They spoke with the victim and his mother, who said the juvenile assisted a driver with a gasoline container near the 13600 block of Lakeshore Drive.
The teen spilled gasoline on his arms and shirt. A short time later, he attempted to light a cigarette and flames were ignited on his shirt and body, police said.
The teen extinguished the flames by rolling on the ground and then went home. No other report on his condition was available.