Gas-splattered shirt ignites as 13-year-old boy lights cigarette

2012-08-02T00:00:00Z Gas-splattered shirt ignites as 13-year-old boy lights cigaretteDiane Poulton Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
August 02, 2012 12:00 am  • 

CEDAR LAKE | The gasoline-splattered shirt of a 13-year-old Cedar Lake boy ignited Tuesday night when he attempted to light a cigarette.

The boy's mother took him to Franciscan St. Anthony Health in Crown Point. His burns were described as mild to severe.

Police were notified about the incident by hospital staff. They spoke with the victim and his mother, who said the juvenile assisted a driver with a gasoline container near the 13600 block of Lakeshore Drive.

The teen spilled gasoline on his arms and shirt. A short time later, he attempted to light a cigarette and flames were ignited on his shirt and body, police said.

The teen extinguished the flames by rolling on the ground and then went home. No other report on his condition was available.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About Cedar Lake

Cedar Lake Town Hall

7408 Constitution Ave Cedar Lake, IN 46303
219.374.7000

Cedar Lake Police Department

7408 Constitution Ave Cedar Lake, IN 46303
219.374.5416

Cedar Lake Fire Department

P.O. Box 459
9400 W 133rd Ave. Cedar Lake, IN 46303
219.374.5961

Cedar Lake Parks and Recreation

7408 Constitution Ave Cedar Lake, IN 46303
219.374.4444

Hanover Community School Corporation

9520 W. 133rd Ave, Cedar Lake, IN 46303
219.374.3500

Featured Businesses