Indiana prisoners will have the faces of cold case homicide victims and missing persons on the only decks of playing cards available for purchase in state prisons.
The Indiana Department of Correction, Indiana State Police and the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department this week released the third edition of the Indiana Cold Case Homicides Playing Cards. The deck features 52 unsolved homicides and missing persons cases from around the state.
Each card features information and a photo or artist's sketch of a victim of an unsolved murder or missing person's case.
State officials said the goal is to create awareness of the cases in the prison population and encourage offenders to provide information that might help close the cases.
The six local cases included in the deck are:
• Larry Niezgoda Jr., Lake County: Niezgoda, 27, was found dead inside a burned-out home July 5, 2005, in the 8100 block of Wicker Park Drive in Highland. Authorities later learned the fire was intentionally set.
• LaVerne Isemonger, Lake County: Isemonger, 70, was found shot to death May 30, 1998, in her home in the 1300 block of East North Street in Crown Point. Authorities said Isemonger was killed three days earlier when suspects entered her home by prying open a window. She was shot to death trying to make a phone call. Her home was ransacked.
• Jonathan Jones, LaPorte County: Jones, 18, was found shot and killed Dec. 7, 1995, at a Jiffy Lube in Michigan City.
• Robert Marshall, Newton County: Marshall, 54, was shot to death May 24, 2008, in his home in Roselawn.
• John Doe, Newton County: An unidentified man between the ages of 17 and 22 was found Oct. 18, 1983, in Lake Village. He was described as a white male between 5 feet 5 and 5 feet 10 inches tall with reddish-brown, medium length hair. He was wearing ankle-high hiking boots and size 30 waist, button pocket brown pants.
• John Doe, Newton County: An unidentified man between the ages of 15 and 20 was found Oct. 18, 1983, in Lake Village. The man was picked up hitchhiking in July 1983 near Terre Haute, Ind. He was described as a black male, 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet tall and 140 to 160 pounds, with short black hair. He was wearing Levi's jeans, a red and white belt with the word "DEVIL" on it and Hush Puppy boots.