CENTER TOWNSHIP | A neighbor's call to firefighters helped keep damages to a minimum at a house fire Saturday afternoon, fire officials said.
"Some good neighbors were watching and called 911. The fire could have spread quickly and the damages major if we didn't get here as quickly as we did," Crown Point Assistant Fire Chief Gerard Abraham said.
Firefighters wre called at 3:40 p.m. to a house in the 11000 block of Durbin Street owned by Tom and Vicky Stinar.
"We were out shopping for our Christmas tree," Stinar said.
The fire started in the kitchen and was apparently caused by a faulty ceiling fan, Abraham said.
The fire also spread to a portion of the attic above the kitchen and damaged the ceiling.
Damage was estimated at $20,000, Abraham said.
Neighbor Paul Dieck said it was his wife, April Dieck, who called the Fire Department after she noticed what looked like steam coming out of the roof.