CROWN POINT | Fire officials have determined a March house fire in the Waterside Crossing subdivision was accidental and started in the garage.
Exactly what sparked the blaze is not yet known.
"The question is why, and that's going to take more research," Crown Point Fire Chief Greg DeLor said.
Fire destroyed the home in the 1700 block of East 108th Place early March 12 during a blast of cold and snow whipped by high winds.
The three occupants of the home were taken to Franciscan St. Anthony Health hospital as a precaution. Their names were not released.
Officials fenced off the charred structure to secure it during an investigation.
Fire officials and investigators representing the insurance company, NIPSCO, the home builder, the city electrical inspector and others combed the site Tuesday for clues, DeLor said.
The investigation by city fire officials concluded after determining the fire was accidental, was of an electrical nature and originated in the garage, DeLor said.
Insurance investigators will continue to look into what sparked the fire, DeLor said.