Charges against four men dismissed in I-80/94 shooting

2013-07-30T18:30:00Z 2013-07-30T20:06:10Z Charges against four men dismissed in I-80/94 shootingSusan Brown susan.brown@nwi.com, (219) 662-5325 nwitimes.com

CROWN POINT | Prosecutors dismissed attempted murder and multiple other charges against four area men alleged to have been involved in a random shooting in January that left an East Chicago man with a bullet wound to the head.

Trials for Charles Cook, 23, of East Chicago, and Dominique Wright, 23, of Hammond, had been scheduled to begin Monday but were cancelled.

Charges also were dismissed against Kelvin Campbell, 26, of East Chicago, and Eric Douglas, 23, of Merrillville, who had been awaiting further hearings in the case.

A witness told police the victim was shot because the men believed him to be from the Harbor as opposed to the Calumet area, according to court records.

The victim, who survived, told police he was followed onto the interstate and fired on, causing him to drive off the side of the road, crash and flip over before the car came to rest on its roof.

Charges were dropped because neither the victim nor the witness would cooperate with the prosecution, court records state.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About East Chicago

Office of the Mayor

4527 Indianapolis Blvd. East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8200

Police Department

2301 E. Columbus Dr. East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8400

Fire Department

3901 Indianapolis Blvd East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8472

East Chicago Park Department

1615 E. 142nd Street East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8474

School City of East Chicago

210 East Columbus Drive East Chicago, IN 46312
Phone: 219.391.4100

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses