EAST CHICAGO | Workers using a propane torch to do repairs on the roof of an apartment complex in the 3800 block of Deodar Street caused a minor fire, officials said.
East Chicago Fire Department Inspector Capt. Steve Wielgos said the torch caught a portion of the roof on fire about 12:45 p.m. He said firefighters were on scene for about 45 minutes, and the fire caused minor damage to the roof.
The fire did not spread to the interior of the building, Wielgos said.
The building has five apartments, and some of the tenants were home during the time of the fire.
There were no reported injuries.