CROWN POINT | The trial of an East Chicago man alleged to be the triggerman who killed 29-year-old Daviantae Dunham in July 2012 opened Monday.
Quinton Webb, 27, was charged with Dunham's murder in May after one of several defendants in the case told authorities it was Webb who fatally shot Dunham.
The already beaten Dunham had been left lying on the ground in the parking lot where a series of incidents took place leading to the shooting, witnesses told police during the lengthy investigation.
Webb is one of several men charged with murder in the incident. Charges against other men involved in the case have since been reduced
Dunham was found dead of a single gunshot wound to the head in a parking lot in the 3500 block of Guthrie Street.
Witnesses told police a group of men jumped, stomped and kicked Dunham before he was shot.
Witnesses told authorities of being in the parking lot when a fight broke out between two groups of men, resulting in Dunham's falling unconscious to the ground where he continued to be struck.
Court records state Webb denied being present during the fight and shooting Dunham, instead naming two other co-defendants as those "who got the dude."
During opening statements Monday deputy prosecuting attorney Michelle Jatkiewicz told jurors as the investigation unfolded, it was learned not one event but three distinct incidents led to Dunham's death.
He did not die as the result of a beating, but of a gunshot to the back of the head, she told jurors.
In the streets, there's a code about snitches, she said in explaining the complicated investigation.
"Nobody wanted to get involved," she said.
Defense attorney Arlington Foley chose not to present opening arguments Monday.
The trial continues today before Lake Criminal Court Judge Thomas Stefaniak Jr.