2014 Rental Property Registration
EAST CHICAGO | According to the city of East Chicago's Rental Housing and Ordinance No. 09-0020. owners of real property in the City of East Chicago are required to register all rental housing on an annual basis at the East Chicago Building Department office, 4444 Railroad Ave., East Chicago, and pay an annual registration fee of $10 per each dwelling or rooming unit.
Registration will begin Tuesday and continue between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Registration forms and requirements are available at the Building Department’s office and at www.eastchicago.com (Departments/Building Department/Downloads 2014 Link).
- Property owners are required to provide, in addition to the completed registration form, the following to process the registration of their rental property:
- Rental registration fee of $10 per each dwelling or rooming unit, whether vacant or occupied (only check/money order accepted)
- Proof of ownership (mortgage, deed, property tax statement, etc.)
- Proof of property insurance (reflecting coverage amounts)
- Copy of valid driver’s license or state-issued identification
- Occupant information
A late fee shall be assessed in the amount of $100, in addition to the $10 registration fee, for each dwelling or rental unit not registered by April 15, 2014. Failure to register any and all real property utilized as rental housing shall constitute a violation of this chapter and the owner shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $2,500 per unit.
For additional information, contact the East Chicago Building Department at (219) 391-8294 or visit www.eastchicago.com (Building Department link).