Fed grant sought for E.C. waterways cleanup

2013-07-13T18:55:00Z 2013-07-13T23:56:14Z Fed grant sought for E.C. waterways cleanupPaul Czapkowicz Times Correspondent nwitimes.com
July 13, 2013 6:55 pm  • 

EAST CHICAGO | Federal dollars might help clean up sediments in the Grand Calumet River and the Indiana Harbor Ship Canal if the East Chicago Waterway Management District board's application for a grant is approved.

It submitted an application to receive Great Lakes Legacy Act funding through the Environmental Protection Agency to remove decades of contaminants such as ammonia, E-coli, cyanide, oil, lead and pesticides.

"It's basically an opportunity to use federal dollars to help clean up areas of concern ... high areas of concern that EPA has identified," said Fernando Trevino, executive director for the E.C. Waterway Management District.

Trevino said the proposal to the EPA is a three-phase project that involves a remedial investigation, feasibility study and remedial design for parts of the Grand Calumet River that have not yet been remediated and parts of the Indiana Harbor Ship Canal that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers does not plan to dredge.

"It connects the dots on parts of the river and canal that are not presently slated for remediation," Trevino said.

He said dredging the Army Corps is currently doing in the canal is only in the federal navigation channel.

Trevino said the feasibility study would explore all remediation options that could range from doing nothing at all to a complete dredging of the specific areas, but that something in the middle would likely be selected.

Completing the three phases likely would take two years and the EPA would act as project leader.

The estimated cost of the project is $2 million, of which 65 percent would come from Great Lakes Legacy Act funds. The remaining 35 percent would come from the East Chicago Waterway Management District.

Trevino said the current plan is to fund the 35 percent mostly via user fees collected from the approximately 30 businesses and industries  along the canal and river in East Chicago.

"By state statute, we're allowed to collect up to $500,000 per year, and that's a total, for all property owners," he said.

Some of the ultimate goals of the three-phase plan are a reduction in toxins released into Lake Michigan, less human and ecological risks, better conditions for fish and wildlife, enhanced water quality and more opportunities for economic development and recreational uses.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About East Chicago

Office of the Mayor

4527 Indianapolis Blvd. East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8200

Police Department

2301 E. Columbus Dr. East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8400

Fire Department

3901 Indianapolis Blvd East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8472

East Chicago Park Department

1615 E. 142nd Street East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8474

School City of East Chicago

210 East Columbus Drive East Chicago, IN 46312
Phone: 219.391.4100

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses