EAST CHICAGO | An electrical fire damaged a residence Thursday afternoon on the 3900 block of Deal Street in East Chicago.
The fire was reported at about 2:30 p.m. by a woman and her three daughters who were inside the home, said Henry Ventura, the chief inspector for the East Chicago Fire Department. There were no reported injuries.
Ventura said the fire was sparked by electrical wiring in the attic, which sustained the most damage. There was smoke and water damage throughout the house.
The fire was under control within 30 minutes. It did not spread to nearby structures. The residents plan to stay with family members, Ventura said.