EAST CHICAGO | A federal indictment Friday charged another eight suspected Imperial Gangster members in connection with an ongoing investigation into local street gang activity.
The indictment was the latest round in what law enforcement officials said is an effort to rid Northwest Indiana of the gang's criminal activity.
"With this indictment we have now charged 23 members of the Imperial Gangsters," U.S. Attorney David Capp said in announcing the indictment during a news conference at the East Chicago Police Department.
Named in the latest round of charges involving conspiracy to participate in racketeering and drug activity were Salvador Chavez, 33, of Chicago; Julian Guillermo Serna, 23, of Munster; and Raymond Campos, 28, Ace Cortez, 33, Julius Solis, 23, Darmaile Cortez Sutton, 29, Eddie Torres, 42, and Richard Reyes, 40, all of East Chicago.
The suspects were rounded up without incident during the day by SWAT team members of a joint force including officers from Chicago, South Bend and Tampa, Fla., officials said.
Previously indicted were Juan Briseno, Justin Weaver, Michael Anthony Castillo, Jason Medina, Edward Raye Serna and Robert Lockhart.
Charges against them remain pending, Capp said.
Cortez, Medina, Reyes, Juan Briseno and Guillermo each were alleged to have committed homicide in five separate incidents between 2004 and 2008 in East Chicago, Gary and Hammond.
The indictment alleged Juan Briseno attempted to murder three individuals in three separate incidents in 2008 and 2009, and that Solis attempted murder in a single incident in 2009.
Previously indicted in connection with the same investigation were Galo Benjamin Feliciano, Guillermo Briseno, Alejandro Balboa Lara, Kevin Beltran, David Almaraz, Joseph Rene Torres and Alejandro Briseno.
All seven have entered guilty pleas, Capp said.
Joining Capp in announcing the indictment Friday were members of the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives and officials with the East Chicago and Gary police departments.
The investigation continues, Capp said.
"We are going to get you. We are going to continue until every one of you are off the streets of Northwest Indiana," Capp said.