Man admits being shooter in deadly East Chicago brawl

2013-11-05T18:41:00Z 2013-11-05T23:33:08Z Man admits being shooter in deadly East Chicago brawlSusan Brown susan.brown@nwi.com, (219) 662-5325 nwitimes.com
November 05, 2013 6:41 pm  • 

CROWN POINT | An East Chicago man on trial for the murder of a man beaten during a brawl between two groups pleaded guilty Tuesday to reckless homicide.

Quinton Webb, 27, admitted to shooting Daviantae Dunham, 29, in the head after the brawlers had dispersed.

According to the plea agreement, Webb agreed to an eight-year prison term for the Class C felony. In return, the state agreed to dismiss the murder charge.

Sentencing in the case is set for Dec. 3.

Webb was one of six men charged in the case, which evolved from events occurring July 12, 2012, in a parking lot at 3583 Guthrie St. in East Chicago.

Five men were charged with multiple counts, including murder, within days of the killing. Webb was not charged until May, when one of the other suspects named him as the shooter.

The already beaten Dunham had been left lying on the ground in the parking lot where a series of incidents took place leading to the shooting, witnesses told police.

Witnesses said a group of men jumped, stomped and kicked Dunham before he was shot.

Witnesses told authorities of being in the parking lot when a fight broke out between two groups of men. Court records state Webb denied being present during the fight and shooting Dunham, instead naming two other co-defendants as those "who got the dude."

In the plea deal, Webb admits to having been drinking and smoking marijuana into the early morning hours of July 12.

When the fight broke out in the parking lot, Webb admits to leaving the area to retrieve a gun from his car. By the time Webb walked back to the parking lot, the fight was over and everyone had walked off leaving Dunham injured on the ground.

Webb admits to encountering co-defendant Chauncey Hackett and another individual, whom he told to leave the area. Webb then walked toward Dunham, recklessly aiming his gun at the man. The gun discharged, striking Dunham in the head, according to the plea agreement.

Hackett, 22, pleaded guilty to a charge of obstruction of justice. He's scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 4.

Defendants Nathan Kincaid, 30; Cameo Samuels, 31; and Fabian Villagomez, 29, all pleaded guilty to criminal recklessness and face sentencing Nov. 14.

The remaining defendant in the case, Uther Kincaid, 30, faces sentencing on the same charge Nov. 22.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



About East Chicago

Office of the Mayor

4527 Indianapolis Blvd. East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8200

Police Department

2301 E. Columbus Dr. East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8400

Fire Department

3901 Indianapolis Blvd East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8472

East Chicago Park Department

1615 E. 142nd Street East Chicago, IN 46312
219.391.8474

School City of East Chicago

210 East Columbus Drive East Chicago, IN 46312
Phone: 219.391.4100

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses