Ambulance stock

File photo

The Times

GARY — A 5-year-old girl is in critical condition and an elderly woman is dead after fire crews responded to a home Wednesday night to find they were using an oven to stay warm, Gary Fire Department spokesman Mark Jones said. 

Fire crews responded about 4:30 p.m. to a home on the 700 block of King Street on Gary's west side to find the oven left on, used as a heating device in the home, Jones said. 

Firefighters registered high carbon monoxide readings upon arrival and discovered two people down and in full cardiac arrest, Jones said. 

The elderly woman and young child were transported to Methodist Northlake Campus in Gary, where the adult was pronounced dead, Jones said. 

The 5-year-old girl, listed in critical condition, was scheduled to be airlifted to another hospital, Jones said. 

Other information, including the names of the victims and age of the elderly woman, was not immediately available Wednesday night.

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community. Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.

0
0
0
14
0

Public safety reporter

Lauren covers breaking news, crime and courts for The Times. She previously worked at The Herald-News in Joliet covering government, public policy, and the region’s heroin epidemic. She holds a master’s degree in Public Affairs Reporting.