Third teen dies of injuries from crash after Gary police chase

2013-01-31T17:15:00Z 2013-01-31T23:57:04Z Third teen dies of injuries from crash after Gary police chaseTimes Staff
January 31, 2013 5:15 pm  • 

A 14-year-old boy died Wednesday in a Chicago-area trauma center as a result of injuries he suffered in a crash during a police chase in Gary, officials said.

Shedevan Gibbs, of the 3800 block of Massachusetts Street in Gary, and two other teens were suspects in a Glen Park burglary that led to the police chase, according to Gary police.

Gibbs died at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to the Lake County Sheriff's Department.

The Cook County medical examiner's office said Gibbs died at 5:39 p.m. Wednesday, but his manner and cause of death had not been determined Thursday.

Ronnie Arthurs, 17, of Chicago, and Andrew Carradine, 19, of Gary, were pronounced dead at 11:15 a.m. at the scene of the crash in the 400 block of Monroe Street, according to the Lake County coroner's office. Their cause of death was listed as blunt force trauma.

Gibbs was a passenger in the back seat of the car.

Gary police responded to a report of a burglary in progress at 10:07 a.m. Wednesday. An officer at the scene reported seeing three males in a Dodge Stratus with Illinois license plates speed away from the scene, police said.

Officers in the area kept the car in sight as they pursued it. The driver turned on Monroe street and sped north before striking two trees.

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About Gary

City of Gary

City Hall Office of the Mayor
401 Broadway Gary, IN 46402

Police Department

555 Polk St. Gary, IN 46402
219.881.1214 Front Desk
219.881.1293 Fax

Fire Department

200 East 5th Avenue Gary, IN 46402
219.881.4779 - 24 Hour Business

Parks and Recreation

455 Massachusetts St. Gary, IN 46402
219.881.0008 Fax

Gary Community School Corporation

620 East 10th Place Gary, IN 46402

Featured Businesses